Saturday, August 20, 2011

Friday & Saturday in Queretaro

I'm keeping my fingers crossed now that I appear to have found a decent high speed internet shop in Queretaro, about a three hour bus ride northwest of the DF.

After puttering around near my Zocalo hotel on Wednesday--and taking a couple hundred photos of the vibrant street life in the area--I found myself held over in the big city for another day to take care of some housekeeping (laundry, to be precise).

With Thursday afternoon at my disposal, I decided to make the return trek out to Coyoacan to take photos and check out the museums.

It was another long walk from the metro stop to Frida's Blue House, and there was a long line of tourists at the ticket counter, so I continued my way back to Trotsky's house.

The admission, at 55 pesos--which includes a 15 peso "permit" to take photos--was reasonable, and I can confirm that history buffs would enjoy a visit to this museum since apparently nothing has been drastically changed since 1940 when the Soviet exile and mortal enemy of Stalin was knocked off in his study by a mysterious Spanish NKVD assassin.

I made full use of my photo permit.

Back at Frida's house I found I had to give it a miss for another day because of a temporary cash shortage.  At 120 pesos (including photo permit), the admission charge was a bit steep for me, and the museum didn't accept credit/debit cards.

Friday morning I managed to tear myself away from the comforts of the capital and set out for Queretaro--a town I visited once before.

Queretaro is a well-kept colonial city with many pedestrian walkways and the usual high number of strolling musicians.  Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende are both but a short bus trip away, and I'll probably head there tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment