Friday, May 23, 2014

Safe in Hanoi

I arrived safe in Hanoi last night after a grueling 60 hour journey from O'Hare.  My original Tuesday night flight was canceled because of a mechanical problem exacerbated by thunderstorms which prevented mechanics from working on the aircraft.  Qatar Airways made a very poor first impression on me when they basically dumped us for the night without food or lodging.

Of my 60 hour ordeal, about 15 of those hours were spent, standing in line, dealing with the extremely frustrating and incompetent QA bureaucracy, and waiting for them to fix their errors (such as issuing me the wrong boarding passes).

Now that I'm in Vietnam, I'm looking for all the news reports I can find regarding this bizarre coup in Bangkok.  Of the 19 or so coup attempts and successes in the past 80 years, this one was really quite different for a number of reasons.  You can find out more here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/23/world/asia/thailand-military-coup.html?_r=0

Also check out this website for many reports from the opposition in Thailand and the large Thai diaspora :

http://politicalprisonersofthailand.wordpress.com/page/2/

I'm checking these and other websites now while I'm in Vietnam because they are likely to be blocked in Thailand.  Indeed, the Thai army shut down about a dozen TV channels including CNN, so Thais aren't able to get real news for the moment. 

Although its reports are likely to be censored, you can also check out the Bangkok Post:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/

Although this news sounds really bad to us Americans, it's really much worse for the Thais and for Thailand's political development.

The irony here is that with the coup, Bankok is likely to be very safe now that the army has closed both semi-permanent protest camps and imposed a 10pm-4am curfew on the capital.

CNN reported that protesters turned out to support the arrested ex-premier Yingluck Shinawatra, but apart from some minor scuffling with police, there was no violence.  CNN said the protesters eventually dispersed and went home for the curfew.

I'm monitoring things very closely ahead of my Tuesday arrival, but I'm not worried about getting snagged up in any of it.  The neighborhood where I stay is quite far from the government districts which are so often the target of both Red Shirt and Yellow Shirt protesters.

3 comments:

  1. Wow what a time to go to Thailand. Please take care, sign up for STEP, and keep posting. Looking forward to reading all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just imagine seeing the words "safe in Hanoi" and how the times have changed since I was in Nam in the 60's being a part of that unnecessary war.(have there been any other kind since WWII?) Enjoy the rest of your trip and take lots of pics so we can compare war stories. Uncle Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee David, your calm, nonjudgmental and savvy assessment is impressive and refreshing. Take good care, will read with interest, Romy.

    ReplyDelete