Friday, July 4, 2014

Highlights of Five Weeks in Thailand

1.)  This year's "place that sticks" is without a doubt my former home-away-from-home Chiangmai, where I spent about three of my five weeks in Thailand.   It was great simply to hang out there as an informed ex-resident, now tourist, and surprising some of my old friends along the way.

2.)  Hanging out with Pik and Stefan and their kids.

3.)  Seeing Peppo, my niece, after seven long years.

4.)  Although I didn't seek out as much live music as I would have even 10 years ago, discovering the bands at Tiger Kingdom in Chiangmai was definitely a highlight of this trip.  The younger generation of singers and musicians here is very impressive, and though their older mentors--some of them contemporaries and friends of mine--have obviously helped with their development, I can tell that older musicians in Thailand can also learn a lot from their younger sisters and bretheran.

5.)  Revisiting Soppong Town, Bangma Pha District,  Mae Hong Son Province.

6.)  Visiting the old 16th century Ayutthaya City ruins.

7.)  Playing fiddle tunes with Sharon and Mick and others at Finnegan's Pub in Bangkok.

8.)  Best $12 hotel room:  The Rest Bull Bed and Bar in Chiangmai had everything I needed:  clean sheets and bathroom, hot shower, fridge, air conditioning, cable TV, free coffee and tea, and relative peace and quiet.

9.)  Best $22 hotel room:  a toss-up between the S1 Hostel in Bangkok's Soi Ngam Dupli--with most of the same amenities listed above, and Hanoi's Serenity Hotel--also with the same amenities plus an excellent, free American-style breakfast and a desktop with internet access in my room.

10.)  Best coffee:  Vietnam wins this by a large margin with its strong black coffee sweetened with condensed milk.  Thailand tries very hard with its many small espresso machines and $1 lattes, but at heart it's still a Nescafe nation.  On the rare occasions when I found kafe boran, the Thai version of Vietnamese coffee, I ordered it in anticipation of my return to Hanoi.

No comments:

Post a Comment