Saturday, June 14, 2014

Junta Ends Curfew Just As Niece Arrives for a Visit

Bangkok's military rulers earlier this week eased curfew restrictions in several provinces, including Mae Hong Son, but left the midnight-4 a.m. restriction in the capital, in Chiangmai, and several other areas.

However, in a surprise move, the junta finally scrapped the curfew in all remaining areas effective last night (Friday June 13).

The move comes just in time for the second day of Fifa's World Cup in Brazil.  Thais are pretty crazy for football and will watch as many broadcast matches as possible, but many of the live broadcasts will be late at night.  Last night there were three matches at 10 p.m., 1 a.m., and 4 a.m.

Businesses with big screen HD and plenty of food and drink are expected, as usual, to cash in on the biggest sports event in the world apart from the Olympics.

While the curfew hasn't really cramped my own earlier-to-bed-at-this-age lifestyle, most Thais and farang are sure to welcome the news.  This morning I overheard some Thais talking about how they'd gone out partying in the wee hours.  In fact, they were only just returning home, at 10.30 a.m., to get some sleep.

Meanwhile, I had just slept through the entire canceled curfew following a somewhat difficult motorbike journey yesterday from Pai to Chiangmai.  While I made excellent time in the first hour of my trip, once I passed the provincial border, I started getting hit by intermittent rain.  In fact, the rain forced me to stop half a dozen times in the last 80 km (50 miles) of the trip.  It took me about five hours to cover the entire 80 mile journey.

So I was fairly pleased to be back in Chiangmai today, and thrilled to find out that my Thai "niece" Pepo, daughter of my friend Marc, has arrived for a three-day weekend with her family.  Pepo looks great and seems very happy and content with life.  She was bubbling with enthusiasm about things in general, and she filled me a bit about her PR job with the Bangkok film company.

Her entry level salary is okay, but she also gets paid for overtime.  The catch, however, is that she has to put in a lot of overtime.  In fact, it seems as if she's expected to put in 16 hour days--everyday.

On the bright side her weekends are free, and she has friends to hang out with as she begins to settle into the work life routine.

This morning I ate northern style food (with sticky rice) with Pepo and her sister Miriam.  This kind of food isn't for everybody (for many farang it involves acquiring a taste), but for northern Thais it is an integral part of their culture and home life.

I asked Pepo if she misses northern food in Bangkok.  "For sure!" she said, adding that she's far too busy with work to seek out the cuisine in the capital.


No comments:

Post a Comment