Monday, August 27, 2012

Bug Bites Force Hasty Exit From Oaxaca

Usually my on-the-road hotel picks are fine, and I'm fairly well-practiced at finding good accomodations for an excellent value price.

But my second hotel pick in Oaxaca turned out to be a real bite in the neck when I woke one morning with a baseball size swelling on the left side of my face (the violin side).

With another similar bite behind my right ear, I found I wasn't in the mood for much sightseeing.

All I know about the mysterious insect bites is that they were extremely itchy but not mosquito related.  The only insect I could identify in my room was a very small beetle type bug.

With the left side of my face seriously deformed, I found I really wasn't in the mood for any  tourist activities at all, so I beat a hasty exit from Oaxaca on Saturday morning, buying a bus ticket to Mexico City for the seven hour trip back to the capital.

My reasoning was thus:  since I'd already done considerable room shopping in Oaxaca, and having found rooms in general to be a bit overpriced, I decided against searching for yet another dubious 400 peso ($32) room.

No comments:

Post a Comment