Monday, August 13, 2012

San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas State

In beautiful San Cristobal de las Casas I have found this year's ¨place that sticks¨.

Though only slightly under a hundred miles south/southeast of Palenque, the bus trip took almost six hours over rugged mountain terrain covered in thick jungle and pine forest.

Anyone who has visited northern Thailand will notice the similarities.  The villages we passed through are some of the poorest in Mexico, inhabited largely by today's descendants of the Maya Indians who live in unfinished wooden houses, some with dirt floors, but surrounded by some of the most beautiful country imaginable.

I'm back in my element here. 

San Cristobal, the main market town in the region, is not actually the capital of Chiapas state--as I mistakenly wrote a few days ago.  (Tuxtla Gutierrez holds that honor.)  But it probably is the most picturesque city for miles around, so accordingly I was up early for the photographer's ¨golden hour¨ between 8.00 and 10.00 to catch the town at its finest with my digital camera.




I'll stay here at least another few days and will continue to post my observations, so check back again in a day or two. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment