Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cuilapa & Points Southeast or Antigua & Northwest?

I´m stuck here ´cause I can´t make up my mind about the basic direction of my travels. Should I head south/southeast so I can get started immediately on an itinerary leading to Costa Rica, Panama & Venezuela? Or should I go revisit beautiful colonial Antigua de Guatemala--just an hour from here--where there is good tourist infrastructure and from where I can continue my travels further into Guatemala's interior?

If it´s the latter, then I should plan on a visit to the famous market town of Chichicastenango, only 2-3 hours by bus from Antigua, where my aunt´s church in Wisconsin has its sister church in Guatemala.

Logistics dictate that if I want to visit the large Mayan site in Tikal, then organizing the trip from Antigua makes a lot of sense.

Cuilapa, about 50 miles southeast of the capital, is a small town I visited in 2008. There´s not much there except a fine resort-type hotel with an excellent restaurant where I stayed for a couple days on my way back home that year.

No, I´m not here to do resort travel, but this place has great value, as I recall, with almost luxurious rooms for $25 or so. Sounds good, doesn´t it? But there´s virtually no tourist infrastructure for planning other legs of the journey. From Cuilapa there´s really only one place to go: El Salvador.

The fact is, the capital city isn´t much to write home about. I needed a few days to get my bearings, set up the blog, finish some other business, and get plenty of good food and rest for the next leg of my journey. So now, on Day 3, it´s time to make a move.

Yet my basic predicament remains: should I head south immediately, or chill out for a bit nearby? And where´s the bus station for Antigua buses?!

No comments:

Post a Comment