Friday, May 28, 2010

Days 4 & 5 in Los Esclavos

Yesterday I opted for the relatively short journey from the capital south to Cuilapa so now will save Antigua and points north for a later date.

I´m revisiting the fine Hotel Turiscentro Los Esclavos which has an excellent restaurant and very good rooms for about $16 per night--the off season rate--and is only a five minute walk from the famous old stone bridge which I walked across today.

It´s definitely off season here because the rainy season has arrived with a vengeance. Last night it poured almost non-stop and today it´s been on & off all day. And it´s so quiet around here I suspect I might be the only guest in the hotel.

The restaurant is another matter though. It´s obviously very popular with the local road traffic on this portion of the Pan-American Highway. Yesterday´s lunch crowd was large and this morning´s breakfast crowd was even larger, and the parking lot was full. This afternoon, however, I had the swimming pool just outside my door all to myself--if I´d wanted it. . .

Despite the rains, it´s very beautiful around here with lush, green jungle covered foothills and a couple standout volcanos nearby. The muddy brown river races in the gorge below the bridges after passing through a small hydroelectric dam and power plant.

I´m cooling my heels a bit because today I was unable to access cash from the ATMs in Cuilapa and hope this electronic inconvenience is only a temporary annoyance and not some problem with the bank at home.

But at least I´ve started on my journey: looks like I´ll proceed to the El Salvador frontier in a day or two then see how my itinerary might progress from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment