Saturday, July 3, 2010

Doing A Small Part for the Local Economies

I'm "wealthy" around here which is why I have to be cautious and situationally aware. It's also why I have to spend money wisely--and hopefully in ways which help the people who most need it--without my going broke in the process.

I don't have a hard and fast rule against giving to beggars, though my default response is no.  The thing is, despite the very real poverty you witness all over Central America, there aren't nearly as many beggars as one might expect.  But there a few, and I find that they are mainly older people, men and women of middle age and older.  When it comes to beggars I have a soft spot for elderly women because I know how hard women of all ages work around here--you see evidence of that everywhere you go--so if an old woman is begging I figure she's truly desperate.

With working age men, I usually say no, but if they can speak some English I will hear them out, then maybe offer a little help.

Far more common than beggars are the many people who haved carved an independent niche for themselves in the economy by peddling various items on the street or on buses or at bus terminals.  Candies, drinks, fruit, various hot foods, and fresh snacks like roasted peanuts or carameled popcorn are among some of the edibles you will find being hawked by itinerant peddlers, these mostly by women.  And watches, wallets, flashlights, CDs, and DVDs are also commonly sold--typically by men.  If fresh snacks and fruit or bottled (more typically bagged) water is on offer, I will often go for it, because these items are always very cheap but great value.

My main contributions to the economy, of course, are for lodging,  food, and transport (basically in that order).  Some hotel owners are quite obviously wealthy, but there are many others who are running a mom and pop affair.  For ordinary folks who have converted their old courtyard home into a guesthouse, the cash I and others bring to the table can be a real help.  And in any given town I always try to eat at least once in an ordinary, modest, mom-type comedor because she's putting her kitchen to work for her family.

If I can find espresso coffee I will spend my money there.  Sometimes these places are owned by foreigners, so I'm aware that I'm not directly helping the locals very much with my custom in that case.  But foreigners always hire many locals as employees, and so I do my part by tipping them if the opportunity arises.  I make liberal use of the tip jar, marked propina in Spanish, not by leaving a lot, but by always leaving something.

If I can't find an espresso shack then I'll look for the best 30 to 50 cent cafe con leche in the market.  When I find a good one the seller will get a tiny extra boost that day because I will usually buy 3-4 of them--and the same number the next morning!  By that time, the locals in the market "know" me fairly well. . .

In the bigger, more expensive restaurants I always tip my waitresses (it's usually young women at this job), and when the service is extra fine I sometimes even tip a little too much--maybe a dollar more than was necessary, not all that much for me, but helpful to her.

I also make a point of tipping the ladies who clean my hotel rooms--these women work very hard, and the evidence for that is in the fact that nearly every room I've rented, no matter how old or new, big or small, ramshackle or sleek, is always spotlessly clean.  For these women I try to leave a certain amount per night's stay.  Again, it's not a lot of cash for me but I know what I leave will help someone's family.  And often I can hire that same woman to do my laundry--another little bit that helps her a little, while helping me a lot!

Often I'll round up taxi fares.  I have found most taxi drivers to be really helpful and professional, despite the not-so-sparkling reputation they have worldwide, but in my experience I've rarely been "taken for a ride."  So in Central America I don't over-haggle with the the driver, but tip a bit instead.  It's well worth the extra few cents it costs me because in this economy another 5-10 lempiras (30 to 60 cents) can be stretched some way by the driver (he can stretch that 10 lempiras in ways which I simply can't).  And let's face it:  isn't that a whole lot better for me than getting ripped off?

If I've ever been overcharged or ripped off in Central America, I've concluded,  it's nearly always my fault for neglecting to get the price up front, or because of some other carelessness on my part.  When that happens, I shrug to myself and say, "That was a lesson well worth the cost!" because hopefully I won't make another expensive mistake like that again.

2 comments:

  1. ....We have been in yellow stone this wk and felt like we should tip thekids that help you stay on your horse, on your raft, at the geyser that is about to blow and especially the musicians around the campfire. ("Don't fence me in","America the beautiful "and a good gk "lives of the cowboys") . Except here it is very expensive and they don't pass a hat around and so many people help you along the way.l don't notice others giving extra cash but I wonder how well these kids do. It is easier when your in a different economy . In Madras the locals feel that it causes inflation and some places like the zoo have one price for locals and one for visitors. I like the fact that you're getting local prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandhya, thanks for the comment. In Central America you see two tier pricing as well, but the costs often are so low--$1.00 for foreigners and 50 cents for locals--that I really don't mind very much. In Thailand, on the other hand, you see two tier pricing that's really a ripoff, like $10.00 for foreigners and $1.00 for locals.

    I'm not sure if my modest tipping contributes to local inflation but I do wonder how much effect remittances of dollars from relatives working in the U.S. have on the the economies here, for good or bad.

    ReplyDelete