Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Santa Rosa de Copan--Another Beautiful Colonial Town

For the first time in six weeks I've been "involuntarily" delayed by some kind of stomach bug which struck last night after my arrival in Santa Rosa and which is keeping me close to bed today.  I've been able to get up at times to visit the restaurant of my hotel for drinks and fruit, and I'm confident I'll be ready to move on to Copan Ruinas tomorrow--a 3-4 hour trip from here.

Santa Rosa is another picturesque colonial town, population 29,000 (which makes it my biggest town since San Miguel, El Salvador), and is built on hills somewhat reminiscent of San Francisco.  Since I've done nothing here but my usual late afternoon (yesterday) promenade near the parque central, I don't have much to report.

Being basically bed-ridden today gave me the opportunity to catch the Uruguay--Holland semifinal which I was glad to do since I missed just about all of the quarterfinals last week (is World Cup month truly over so soon?!). 

I've been rooting for teams from the American hemisphere, so it was a blow to see Holland advance with a 3-2 victory over the South Americans.  The Dutch busted out of a 1-1 tie with a header goal in the 73rd minute that seemed to have gobsmacked the Uruguayan goalkeeper so badly he remained frozen in place as the ball whizzed by his head.  Not long after that the Dutch scored another to make it 3-1 and the Uruguayans couldn't do much more than an extra time consolation goal to bring it to 3-2.

Holland next will face the winner of tomorrow's Germany-Spain match for an all-European World Cup final.

No comments:

Post a Comment