Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Thrill of Completing the Tourist Checklist

Being a norteamericano backpacking tourist in Central America is hard work!  I'll bet you didn't know there are a lot of chores involved.  On top of being around and getting around in security and safety, you have to research hotels and restuarants,consult guidebooks and maps, look for bus stations and buses to get to the stations, get laundry done every few days, and you have to do all this while trying to stay on budget.  Plus you have to get all these things done in a language which is not your own.

It may seems strange, but quite often I wake up in a mild panic because I have such a lengthy to do list, and today was one of those days.

1.  Find a cheaper hotel room, check.
2.  Get cash at ATM, check.
3.  Take laundry to service shop, check.
4.  Log on to hopefully high speed internet, check.
5.  Update blog, check.
6.  Check email, check.
7.  Buy memory card for camera, check.
8.  Arrange transport to Chichicastenango and back, check.
9.  Go to supermarket, check.
10.  Pick up laundry before the woman closes shop, check.

You get the picture.

I love getting all that stuff done by noon, so I can go out and do my 'real mission' which is the reconaissance of photo ops, then later walkby picture taking.

Check back again soon for a more detailed post about my photo mission in Central America.  Until then, I'm going to enjoy this ultra cool city enjoying its very fine weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment