Monday, July 12, 2010

Searching for a Church in Chichicastenango (Day 50)

All I had to go on was a name:  Flavio Rodas.  My aunt in suburban Milwaukee told me her church has one of its sister churches by that name in Chichicastenango, so I decided to look it up.

It was easy to find. . .well, sort of easy, that is.  From the start, everyone told me there's no church by that name, only a school.  The first man I asked sent me in the general direction of the school, so I started walking.

But Chichi is built upon some incredibly steep hills, and when I perceived that after walking down one hill I'd have to begin climbing another--but not entirely sure of the correct direction I should go--I flagged down a three-wheeled mototaxi.

"Sabes Iglesia de Flavio Rodas?" I asked the driver.

"Sure, I know it."  And as he drove up the hill we passed a long wall with mural panels, one of which appeared to be painted by students of La Escuela Flavio Rodas.

"Is that the school?"

"The school is that way, " he pointed in one direction.

"How about the church?"

We reached a fork in the road.  "Left for the school, right for the church, " he said.

"Go right."  And soon we were in front of a church, but was it the right one?  Assembly of God, it said, written on a sign above the door.  Several women were seated in front with foods for sale.

The driver told me what everyone else had said:  there's no church by that name, only the school.

So I walked down to the school and snapped a couple photos.  On a Sunday there wasn't much to see.  Then I walked back to the murals and shot some photos there.  Then I walked back to the church and took a photo or two there.

Then I asked the women:  "Is this the Iglesia Flavio Rodas?"  Well, they said, there's no church by that name, only the school.  But if you're looking for the church in Flavio Rodas (neighborhood), this must be the one because it's the only one around.

Based upon my extensive walk around the neighborhood, this appeared to be true.

I asked them if they have "sister churches" in the United States.  "Oh yes," said one of the women, "I can think of one in California."

Any other states, I asked, perhaps Wisconsin?  "Probably," she said, "but I'm not sure where."

This was good enough for me!  Mission accomplished?  Well, sure. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment