Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Liking the Rainy Season for the Same Reasons I Once Hated It

I like traveling in the tropics during the rainy season which contrasts sharply with my attitude during the time I lived in Thailand in the early 1990s.

Contrary to popular belief, the rainy season doesn't mean it rains all day everyday.  But often it rains toward the end of a very hot, humid day which can cool things off considerably.  Even when it doesn't rain, there might be thick cloud cover which cuts the blinding glare of the tropical sun.

In Thailand I played fiddle in a Thai country music band.  We worked nights, often every night of the week.  In Thailand, the high season is known as the "cool" season because the weather is not too hot in the daytime, while at night it can be pleasantly cool (or "cold" as the Thais call it).  The high season (November thru Februrary) was very busy and lucrative for us musicians.

In March and April comes the brutal hot season.  It gets so hot that even the Thais complain about it.  Temps of 100 Farenheit are not uncommon.  Nighttime doesn't bring much relief.

The rainy season in Thailand is the longest season of all--May thru September or October, just as in Central America.  As musicians, we still had work every night, but it was definitely the "slow" season for us, and we had much less extra work gigging on private parties, for example.

While now I enjoy the late afternoon rains here in Nicaragua, in Thailand at the time these would hit just when I getting ready for work.  Since my principal mode of transport was by motorcycle, this often could be problematic for me if the timing of the rains was bad.  Once I had to skip a high paying gig because I was caught in a heavy downpour, ending up completely soaked and in no condition to join my colleagues for the gig, who mostly had real cars and pickup trucks.

Now that I'm not working nights in the tropics, I really like the feel and the sound of an all night thunderstorm.  It's very refreshing.  And on rainy days here, often the buses are a lot less crowded, so it's easier for me to get around with my gear.

At this time of year in Central America, as in Thailand, there are fewer tourists and fewer crowds in general.  Often this means that I can get discounted hotel room rates.  What costs me $20 now might cost double in December or during Easter week.

Perhaps the worst thing for me about the rainy season in Thailand was simply the long, dreary length of it.  Similar to the length of a Wisconsin winter, by the end of September, as I recall, I was very weary of the rains--even a little bit depressed by it.

That would make the imminent arrival of the cool season in October/November something to rejoice in and celebrate. . .

2 comments:

  1. Madras also has a wonderful rain season. The drops are big and warm and you then know why there are mangoes,coconuts,bananas and jackfruit everywhere. In the sprawling city,it floods up to your knees and traffic stops(instead of 'stop' signs,the signs say 'halt and go'as if you might stay there all day otherwise. But if you don't have anywhere to go you can just enjoy that the dust has settled and the trees are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of not having anywhere to go, this lovely corner of the Pacific coast at Las Penitas is a great place to do just that. I spent a very pleasant day and evening here last night and today feel no need to get on with my trip! I think I could easily stay here another week at least.

    Last night at Barca de Oro I had a very fine filet of something or other fish in jalapeno sauce on the recommendation of the affable owner. It was so fresh I felt I had died and gone to foodie heaven. . .and Im not really much of a foodie.

    Costa Rica beckons, but Im starting to feel real lazy about the rest of my trip. . .

    ReplyDelete