Monday, June 14, 2010

Something Out of a John LeCarre or Graham Greene Novel

Okay, I guess it's official:  Leon has turned out to be "the place that sticks" for me on this trip, at least for the present moment, since tonight I'll spend my fifth night in a row here (Day 22).  I'm still agnostic on returning to Las Peñitas for a couple days, but I'm definitely sure about heading out somewhere else tomorrow.

I'm staying here a bit longer not because there are tons more westerners here, including young European backpackers and American college kids, than I've seen anywhere else in three weeks.

Indeed, there are also plenty of Our Man in Havana types lurking about in the bars and cafes.  Am I one of them?  It reminds me of the time I returned to Bangkok after a long absence and encountered two Brits who tried to wind me up by accusing me of being a DEA narc.

There's another "quiet American" type sitting over there in the cafe where I'm writing this "dispatch," but he's drinking beer while I'm enjoying my late morning latte.  He's "old school", I guess.

By my demeanor, the folks from Witness for Peace must think I'm an operative for the top secret "ABC" agency, with a direct line to the Managua station chief himself.  "I'm a Suzuki violin teacher," I tell them, feeling somewhat lame as I do so.  Yeah, right!  That sounds like a perfect cover, or "legend", for my true purposes here.  After all, why else would I be asking so many questions about the Colombian, the Venezuelan, and the Cuban legs of their fact-finding mission?

M says WfP has offical permission from the State Department to make this trip to Cuba.  The organization also requires Cuban government permission--not difficult for them to get if they are as liberal as they are made out to be on the internet.  "The bad thing about that is we won't be able to escape our Cuban government minders," he says.  M and R both invited me to join them for the Nicaraguan leg--"There's always room for more"--but I mentioned that I knew I'd have to pay $1000 for the privilege, which they readily confirmed.

R acknowledged that WfP does make a profit from their volunteers at this $100 per day rate.  "But that also includes room and board with local families, overland transport, expert guides and interpreters," she says.

We discuss the risks of traveling, as Americans, to Cuba without offical U.S. sanction.  I've heard that a common route is through Cancun, where the cheapest Havana flights and Cuban visas are available at around $300 for the total package.

I remember a story about a California musician who bought old upright pianos to refurbish which he then turned around and exported to Cuba for use in the dance and music academies.  Upon his return to the U.S. from one of his Cuba trips, the authorities nailed him, and the Treasury Department imposed an $8000 fine.  As I recall, the musician's reaction was something along the line of "this is a situation of can't pay, so won't pay."  He didn't even have enough money to hire a lawyer because all his extra money was going into second hand pianos.

M claims that if I failed to slip back into America from Cuba without the authorities noticing, and if Treasury were to hit me with a big fine, then the ACLU would take my case.  "And they've never lost a case," he says.  I don't know how accurate this information is, but it's an interesting question:  Is full liberty to travel, where and when you please, without government interference, a First Amendment right?  How ironic that Washington demanded the end of all Iron Curtain travel restrictions at the height of the Cold War, yet today retains its own anachronistic restrictions.

It seems that this 50 year-old Washington anti-Cuba policy serves no one except a small but vocal constituency in Florida.  This policy does not benefit the U.S.A., and it doesn't prevent the Cuban government from doing exactly what it wants.

These economic embargo policies really have only losers:  both the American and Cuban peoples.  Cubans miss out on the economic benefits of free trade with the U.S.  And Americans miss out on the many cultural benefits of Cuban arts, music, dance, food etc.  In other words, the good stuff.

But beyond all that, in the 21st century, isn't it time to end all passport restrictions for Americans?  Currently, even this "minor" restriction vis-a-vis Cuba seems just a bit. . .well, unAmerican.

No comments:

Post a Comment