Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sometimes Microbus Is The Way To Go

My "escape" from Las Peñitas yesterday was fairly easy and relatively painless as I journeyed by bus first to Leon and then by "microbus" (minivan) to the Nicaraguan capital city of Managua.

I find that this is a good way to go if the leg isn't longer than 2-3 hours.  It costs just a little more--maybe 40 cordobas ($2) instead of 20 cordobas--but it's well worth it since once they fill the van, they make good time to the destination.

In the case of my itinerary yesterday, to Managua and Granada, there was added convenience in the fact that I didn't have to change bus terminals, as one often has to do in the big cities.

So within minutes of my arrival in Managua, I was in another micro to Granada.  My total travel time yesterday was in the neighborhood of four hours which included lunch and a long coffee break in Leon.

As soon as I was set up in a small family guesthouse in Granada, the skies over the big lake opened up with heavy rains, so my timing was excellent. . .

Check out the link I've posted to the upper right from an About.com article on Granada, the granddaddy of Nicaraguan tourism.

No comments:

Post a Comment