Friday, June 25, 2010

To Perquin Via Choluteca, or From the North?

My next decision is one of logisitics:  should I return to El Salvador right away from the east and proceed to Perquin from there?  Or should I travel by way of the Honduran capital Tegucigalpa and approach Perquin from the north?

The Lonely Planet warns that because of a border dispute with Honduras, El Salvador does not have an immigration checkpoint on the road to Perquin from the north.  This may not be a problem for me since technically I'm still traveling on my initial 90 day stamp I received from the Guatemalans at the start of my journey.

But the Planet warns that if I exit from another El Salvador checkpoint, I could conceivably face the issue of having formally exited Honduras without formally entering El Salvador.  Because of this potential uncertainty, I'm probably inclined to enter El Salvador from the east, just to be on the better-safe-than-sorry side of things.

On the other hand, since I've now postponed Costa Rica until late this summer, that gives me more time now to visit Honduras for a bit, which I'd really like to do.  Though I'd prefer to skip Tegucigalpa, it might be worth my while to explore some of the area to the north of El Salvador.

My original intent had been to use Honduras as a transit point between destinations, but now that the option is open, it seems a shame to completely pass on by.

Thus I'll be busy with my guidebooks tonight to fix some alternate plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment