Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Return to Las Peñitas Beaches

Leave it to yours truly to pick the rainiest day of the week to flee Leon for the quiet fishing village of Las Peñitas and its beaches!

I splurged on a $10 taxi to get here and splurged more on an aircon room--a treat to myself after putting up with five very muggy nights in Leon without.

The Barca de Oro, a small family-run hotel/restaurant, is staffed by friendly people, and they serve good, real coffee, not Nescafe or something worse.  Everyone in the village is glued to their televisions now for the World Cup broadcasts.  Prime time in South Africa is just past noon here.

The sound of the big waves is constant and similar to the sound of a jumbo jet aircraft in the distance, but much more pleasant and soothing.  The rain has stopped, but you can see the cloud cover stretching across the entire Pacific horizen, so perhaps there's more to come.  It doesn't matter to me very much because I'm exactly where I want to be today.

My sense is, barring a sudden crisis of boredom brought upon by lack of the usual city distractions here, a couple or three days in Las Peñitas will be good for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment